Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rock Novel

So here's the novel I want to write.  It will be called Rock Novel in order to trick people into buying it.  But it's not about rock music; It's about a rock.  It follows this rock from the beginning of the world to the present-day (I'd definitely have to take some sort of geology class for this).  Here's the thing: we want to invoke sympathy, or at least some kind of emotion, for this rock.  But it isn't a sentient rock, or anything like that.  Just a plain ol' rock.  And there can be NO sneaky attempt to humanize it with pathetic-fallacy-type language.  It's just a rock.  It just sits there.  And I want it to be a character that invokes emotion in spite of having no characteristics that would make it relatable to anyone in any way.  If you have any tips for me, I'd love to hear them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

You could cover it with moss. Everyone likes moss.

SK

10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown pontificated to the effect that...

The environment would be the key, I'd expect.

1:56 AM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Good idea--I'm just worried I might accidentally humanize the moss. That must be assiduously avoided.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home