Monday, October 31, 2005

Random Ten

Cominatcha.

01. Cleaners from Venus, “Summer in a Small Town”
Those crazy kids, what will they do, they're not a bit like me and you, with that crypto-punky-psychobilly beat. They took your sacred rock and roll, they stripped it down and they left a hole, then they filled it up with anger from the street. They rap in this one, which sounds alarming, but it's actually one of my favorite Cleaners songs. 9/10

02. Dead Can Dance, “Devorzhum”
The usual swirly atmospheric thing, with pleasing vocals from Ms. Gerard. I've never been able to figure out whether she's singing in some arcane language, or if it's just evocative gibberish. Either way, I like it. 7/10

03. The Monkees, “Do You Believe In Magic”
About the most gormless thing ever, but I can't claim to completely hate it. 5/10

04. Flogging Molly, “Whistles the Wind”
Not my favorite FM, but still rather poignant. 8/10

05. Manic Street Preachers, “Of Walking Abortion”
Who's responsible? All together now...YOU FUCKING ARE! 10/10

06. Manic Street Preachers, “Repeat” (UK)
Useless generation! Dumb flag scum! Honestly, I can't help giggling a bit at this, but it does perfectly embody the early Manics ethos. 8/10

07. The Prodigals, “Boru's Marches”
Rousing instrumental. 8/10

08. Belle and Sebastian, “Ease Your Feet In the Sea”
I hate a lot of Belle and Sebastian, but somehow, I love their entire third album. Though this may not be the high point. 7/10

09. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “Foi Na Cruz”
The lyrics (some of them) are in some sort of bizarre foreign tongue. But I like the song. 7/10

10. The Pogues, “Whiskey You're the Devil”
Basically what you'd expect. Which isn't such a bad thing. 6/10

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home