Thursday, March 23, 2006

Le dix au hasard

My first-ever one, I believe. And from an artist I love, no less. Sorry, Leonard, but it's for your own good.

01. Elvis Costello, “Pump It Up”
She’s been a bad girl! She’s like a chemical! Though you try to stop it! She’s like a narcotic! Yup. What more can be said? 9/10

02. Suede, “Down”
Say what you like about post-Bernard Suede: taken on its own merits, this is a bloody good song. Very poignant. 8/10

03. Gordon Lightfoot, “Song for a Winter’s Night”
Not his best, but good. 7/10

04. Saint Bushmill’s Choir, “Sam Hall”
My name it is Sam Hall and I hate you one and all. Cheers. There are loads of variations to this song, and he’s not always named “Sam.” I prefer the Prodigals’ “Jackie Hall,” but this is pretty good. 7/10

05. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “Sad Waters”
I’m afraid that M. Cave has recorded a lot of really, really average songs, and this is one of them. 4/10

06. The Doors, “My Eyes Have Seen You”
I badly want to hate this song, but I am forced to admit that the tune kinda sorta makes up for the lyrics. I think I’d like the Doors more if I didn’t understand English. 6/10

07. Leonard Cohen, “A Singer Must Die”
And I thank you, I thank you for doing your duty, you keepers of truth, you guardians of beauty, your vision is right, my vision is wrong, I’m sorry for smudging the air with my song…Jesus fucking CHRIST, Saint Leonard, get off the goddamn cross already. I’m sorry: the man has written some of the world’s most sublime songs, but this is fucking dire. 1/10

08. Steeleye Span, “Dance with Me”
Spoiler: he dies at the end. Great tune. 8/10

09. Space, “Money”
Say what you will; at their best, Space could be pretty glorious. This is one of those times. 8/10

10. Elvis Costello, “Pretty Words”
Bookending the list with Elvis. Curiosity couldn’t kill the cat; it was a poison pen. Guh? Not as good as “Pump It Up” by a long shot, but I still like it. 7/10

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home