Sunday, July 01, 2007

Dopey beer ads

It has come to my attention that there are those who question my interpretation of the keystone light ad below. All I can say is, I think that this is simultaneously giving keystone not enough and far too much credit. Overt physical violence against women is rightfully taboo in advertising--but do ya REALLY think that there isn't a pretty substantial audience that would enjoy it nonetheless? There are plenty of beer ads where *emotional* violence is played for laffs; why would anyone imagine it would stop there? And do ya REALLY think Keystone is too high-minded to be willing to do their best to give the people what they want? It may be possible to imagine a version of the ad in question where it's a guy getting whacked around, but come on, who's fooling whom? It's not coincidental that it's a woman. Here is another commercial, which I don't find offensive, and which, though I'm loathe to admit it, might even be sort of funny. Note that the guy who uploaded it entitled it "Cell Phone Bitch in Beer Commercial," in spite of the fact that there's nothing mean about her behavior, and that it even ends on a conciliatory note. And yet, our uploader loader feels animosity towards her--presumably because she embarrassed the guy, even by accident. Ya think HE is unlikely to think the woman in the other commercial got what she deserved? And ya think Keystone isn't playing to people just like him in it?

I really, really don't think I'm reaching here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home