Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Fat and Oppressed

So I saw this article that isn't exactly new but I just saw it. It's about a game called Fat Princess where you have to rescue the princess only your opponents can make her fatter by feeding her desert so she's harder to move. Okay! Now look, it's a silly idea, no doubt. Maybe it's a little offensive to some tastes, which is fine, I guess, even if I can't really get worked up about it. But here is this quote from the article:

Over at Shakesville, however, writer Melissa McEwan cuts to the chase, telling Sony she's "positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative ---holes."

I personally am less thrilled to see militant feminists showing such unyielding dedication to maintaining their reputation as humorless scolds, but there you are. And "heteronormative?" Sure, why not. No sense doing this half-way. In fact, I don't understand how MeEwan could possibly have left out "patriarchal." Normally, people complaining about "political correctness" are just upset because they can't openly fling racial slurs around anymore, but in this instance, there might be something to what they're saying. This kind of ginned-up rage over very little kinda looks to me like the left-wing equivalent of Michelle Malkin maintaining a perpetual, seething rage over subversive vodka ads.

Not that anyone wants my advice or anything, but I would recommend reacting to something like this by rolling your eyes and thinking exasperated thoughts. Because if you display this level of OUTRAGE! over something like this, then why do you expect people to take you seriously when you get mad about something that's actually beyond the pale, like the obese woman in Good Luck Chuck (it's funny because she's a hideous subhuman and nobody could possibly ever love her--geddit)?

Unless, hell, you really do see no substantive difference between the two. In which case, godspeed, I guess. I just hope in that case you're prepared not to see many of your political objective met, or indeed to live a particularly happy life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home