Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beware off-brand Bible tracts

So I found this tract at a ballgame the other day. Don't get me wrong; I'm happy to find ANY Bible tracts, but I have to say, a part of me was kind of offended that the anonymous donor didn't care enough about my soul to invest in the real thing. And the truly sad thing is that, if you browse through the Fellowship Tract League website, you'll see that, though not spectacularly brilliant, "I'll Do it Later" is actually one of their best efforts (here's another good one)--if nothing else, I aim to use the immortal phrase "because of your neglect, we have lost much income!" as often as possible. Most of them, however, are entirely text-based, which as far as I'm concerned takes lameness to a new level. I ask you: who's gonna accept Jesus etc without a fun comic narrative?

While I am, in theory, in favor of small upstart indie firms with a vision taking on the might of ChickCo, the results speak for themselves. Unlike Chick Tracts, FTL tracts are free, but you really do get what you pay for, and I've gotta say--if saving my immortal soul isn't worth a lousy fifteen cents to you, I really have to question your commitment to the cause.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kaitlyn pontificated to the effect that...

I've seen a Chick tract in the flesh like once - and that was at a church. (A more open-minded church, so maybe it was left there for the members.)

And I remember in elementary school, these really weird guys were handing out little orange New Testaments. I think one even got on a bus. It was weird then, and it's weird now.

I live in Tennessee, people! Why aren't people trying to save my soul with a tract? Off to hell I go!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home