Sunday, May 28, 2006

Random fucking blah

What do you fucking people want? Will you never be sated?

01. Salty Dog, “Welcome Paddy Home”
Pretty. Sappy, some might say, but whatever. I like it. 7/10

02. Slim Cessna's Auto Club, “Cranston”
This is a good song to stomp up and down to. 8/10

03. Buck 65, “Phil”
A quite good love song, actually. I don't know what the title has to do with anything. 8/10

04. The Beatles, “Yesterday”
Oh fucking fuck, man. Maybe this was a good song at one point, but now it's just fucking undifferentiated grey cultural mush. And Paul McCartney is a fucking prat. I'd be fucking overjoyed if I never heard this fucking song again in my fucking life. Fuck it. 3/10

05. Steeleye Span, “White Cliffs of Dover”
Sort of new-agey-sounding. Not exactly what you would expect--or want--from this band. I'm afraid I'll have to pass. 5/10

06. Joe Jackson, “Baby Stick Around”
Someone's telling me we're made of scandals. someone's stepping on my plastic sandals. This song is very, very...good. 8/10

07. Led Zeppelin, “When the Levee Breaks”
I heard a version of this sung in a play I saw recently, which really made me appreciate it. I dunno; the Zeppelin version is pretty good. 7/10

08. XTC, “Ball and Chain”
I feel as if I ought to like XTC more than I actually do. Certainly I should have during my anglophilia period. And I do like some of their stuff, but I dunno, man...this is okay. 6/10

09. Roxy Music, “Bittersweet”
Very majestic, imposing, Weimar Republic-sounding stuff. And you have to love Brian Ferry singing in German. 9/10

10. ABBA, “Honey Honey”
Ha ha. It doesn't get much more uncool than this. Yes, ABBA is kitschy, but at their best they're majestically kitschy. This is just bubblegum. 3/10

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Question: If a song ranks at less than, I dunno, 4 or so, wouldn't it be considered for deletion from your iTunes? Or are you just trying to keep a high number of tunes on your comp for bragging rights? :p


G

6:41 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

That might be the case were I a more rational person. But nope--I'm a hoarder. I like having complete albums even if I don't like some of the songs. And it makes little difference, practically speaking: the one upside to my harddrive's recent meltdown was that I replaced it with a 160GB model, so I can keep shovelling in more and more music nigh unto infinity.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

160GB?! You could put all the music ever made in the UK on there and still have room.

Which means you'll need more Oasis on your computer. And perhaps a foray into Canadian rock, no? :P

7:14 AM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Possibly. I'm open to suggestions :P

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Oh! How exciting! Even if I detect snark in your use of :P!

I'm giving you suggestions regardless...

any songs by the Matthew Good Band or Matt Good
"No Sleep," Sam Roberts
"Alone In The Universe," David Usher
"Push," Moist
"One Man Army," Our Lady Peace
anything by the Tragically Hip
"So She's Leaving," The Trews
"Blown Wide Open," Big Wreck
"If You Could Read My Mind," Gordon Lightfoot
"Eternal Fatalist," Lowest of the Low
"Til I Am Myself Again," Blue Rodeo
anything by Kathleen Edwards
"Basement Apartment," Sarah Harmer

and finally...no Nickelback for the love of God!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home