Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jacob Dumb

(the name "Jacob Dumb" also figures in the song "Circle 'round My Bedside" from The Jimmy Carter Syndrome)

She gave me head and heroin as sure as the sun would set.
She let me come onto her chin yet there's one thing that I still regret.
She gave my son name of Jacob Dumb this child has been my hell.
Nary a one with a like tongue to wean him from himself.

And Jacob Dumb...
You wean from yourself

And Jacob Dumb he'd sit with us on our pineboard each night.
Mumbled out the songs I sang; he sat between the legs of my wife.
Paws on her thigh, tried to pass his age, he sang though his throat was young.
A fly laid an egg, my wife shifted her weight, Jacob, don't live your name Dumb.

Jacob Dumb...
Well don't live your name

Our porch became a teeter totter
When Jacob came down he fell far from his father.
My wife shift of weight forced Jacob so much closer.

And Jacob Dumb...
Well you are my shame
You are my shame
You are my shame
You are my shame
You are my shame
You are my shame
We lost again
We lost again

She gives him head and heroin and now he's truly dumb.
Now not even Nestor could bring peace between myself and my son.
Jacob fell far from his father's heart though the distance was not too long.
Dumb, take my wife, my black tar vice, but don't take from me...

Child, don't take my songs...
Don't take my songs

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Christi pontificated to the effect that...

Thank you so much for posting these lyrics. I've been listening to this song over and over again, and couldn't figure out half of what he was singing. haha!

2:41 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Cheers!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Gary Ottoson pontificated to the effect that...

I'll take a crack at it.. a start, in part : <<"Nary a one with a like tongue to wean him (the son and him - and one of them is named Jacob) from himself (him and the son - the other named Dumb) (as in split person/ality) ... not even Nestor (the 'Negotiator-Deity') could bring peace between [my-self] and [my-son]. Jacob fell far from his father's heart though the distance was not too long. Dumb, take my wife, my black tar v[o?]ice, but don't take from me... Child, don't take my songs...
Don't take my songs[!] (perhaps like, for example : or, 'we'll' wind up in a mental institution)..>> -G (gdot50.com)

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home