Tuesday, February 14, 2006

All your favorite music sucks.

I don't subscribe to Q anymore. I just stopped liking it. I do think it objectively got worse (why did they stop giving photos amusing captions?), but my changing sensibilities no doubt also had something to do with it. But I glanced through the latest issue in Barnes and Noble. They had another "hundred best albums EVAH--as voted by YOU" issue. I guess there's nothing wrong with such things, but it seems kind of silly for them to act as if this is somehow definitive--or, indeed, that it's good for much of anything other than drunken arguments. Turns out I own thirty-seven of the hundred best albums EVAH, although a lot of those are thing I rarely if ever listen to. So what's the best album EVAH? Well, you know it's going to be one of the following:

1. Sgt. Pepper (possibly Revolver, if we want to sound vaguely, yet non-threateningly, idiosyncratic)
2. The Stone Roses
3. London Calling
4. OK Computer

And...it's 4. Man. I'd kinda hoped we were past this phase. Boy do you limey bastards have boring musical taste. Not that I'm trying to imply that we're any better.

On a wholly unrelated note, just HOW fucking stupid is that diet pepsi commercial with Jackie Chan?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

From what I can discern, the British music rags now spend most of their time talking about the misadventures of Pete Doherty, which I can honestly say I don't care about. So I think there was an objective drop in quality. OK Computer really is a good album, though, but I wouldn't put it at #1.

- SK

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Yeah, I hear that. I also used to subscribe to Q. It was my bible. I loved it. I read it over and over again. I still have all my old issues. And then it started to suck. Some might may that it started to suck...hardcore.

But now I want to check out this latest issue....just for kicks.

And, by the way, mr. inchoatia, I am going to see OASIS and you can't stop me.

G

6:38 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

I...I have no witty comment. Godspeed. Perhaps Liam will exhort you to flash him. That would certainly be a night to remember.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

All right, with that comment, I know you have just finished watching your well-worn copy of "Familiar to Millions." Wherein Liam asks a girl to flash him. Naturally.

Either that or you rented it from Netflix :P


G

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home