Sunday, January 29, 2006

Son of Random Ten Battles the Molemen

I have an ipod now. Which changes Everything.

01. Manic Street Preachers, “Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning)”
This was never my favorite song from Everything Must Go, but listening to it now, I really do like it a lot, even if I don’t really understand what if anything it’s trying to convey. 8/10

02. Joe Jackson, “The Band Wore Blue Shirts”
I just don’t like this song. I find it silly, and not in a good way. 4/10

03. AmIEviL, “Blaster Master DancerMaster”
Yes, a remix of a song from Blaster Master. When I was small, I only played it a few times at a friend’s house, but I still developed kind of a nostalgic attachment. This is a quality track; good tune, hard-rocking. 7/10

04. Steeleye Span, “Treadmill Song”
Excellent. My understanding is that at some point in English history, convicts were in fact required to basically walk on treadmills. That’s what ultimately did in Oscar Wilde, I believe. The melody really evokes the idea of grim, repetitive labor. Compelling. 9/10

05. Tom Waits, “Broken Bicycles”
Summer is gone…our love will remain. Like old broken bicycles out in the rain…The highlight of the One from the Heart soundtrack. Very haunting. 9/10

06. The Beatles, “Long, Long, Long”
Blah, blah, blah. Why did I rip this tripe? 3/10

07. The 101ers, “Sweety of the St. Moritz”
The 101ers being Joe Strummer’s pre-Clash band, of course. Pretty straightforward rocking. 7/10

08. James, “Say Something”
What to say? This may be one of the lesser songs from Laid, but it’s still a song from Laid. 7/10

09. Joe Strummer, “Smash Everything”
You know, in case saying something doesn’t work. An instrumental from the Walker soundtrack; not as ferocious as the title would imply, unfortunately. 6/10

10. 16 Horsepower, “Single Girl”
Yee haw! 8/10

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Man, I love "Interiors." I think the point is supposed to be how easily people forget great artists, which sort of ties in to the whole disappearance thing, and the album's general theme of transience. And I don't even know if I'd divide Laid into strong and weak songs; it's so consistently great.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Dude! Like, OMG! You got a POD! So exciting!11one!! Does it have pretty colours and such? Can you watch movies? Can you tell I'm a total Mac geek? :P

Actually, on my Pod today, I heard "Say Something." James is very awesome, just overall. "Laid" is just all sorts of greatness, even though it was used to promote "American Pie." "Out To Get You" is another great song...why don't more people listen to James, damn it!

G

6:00 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Haha--down, girl! Yes indeed, it's quite pretty. Almost embarrassingly so, actually. I find the concept of playing video on it a little perplexing, but hey. I should try it out sometime just for the hell of it.

My favorite James song is probably 'Five-O,' though it's probably true that there's not that much to distinguish between, Laidwise. I'm forced to concede that their later albums are pretty mediocre, unfortunately.

Good point about Interiors, btw, SK. I had never really sat down and looked at the lyrics.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

The whole "Five-O" / "P.S." / "Everybody Knows" midsection is incredible. "Skindiving" also deserves notice, in my opinion. These days I listen to a lot of electronic music, and that actually makes me appreciate "Skindiving" even more than before. It's very original.

- SK

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home