Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Was there some sort of election or something yesterday?

Good

1. President Barack HUSSEIN Obama. Really pretty impressive, admittedly. It still hasn't quite sunk in. Whatever sort of President he turns out to be, the fact remains that we just elected a man of African descent with a scary name to the highest office in the land. It's hard to deny the symbolic significance.

2. Now John Paul Stevens can retire. Dude deserves major credit for sticking it out through eight fuckin' years of bush.

3. Big-time schadenfreude browsing right-wing blogs. I don't want to actually provide a LINK, because it might attract the creatures, but this is deee-lightful:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/11/president-fraud.html

Bad

1. Evil psychobitch Michelle Bachmann reelected

2. Convicted Felon Senator Ted Stevens. What the fuck is WRONG with you, Alaska? And I don't mean that the rhetorical way. You appear to be quite literally a rogue state. Todd Palin had the right idea: PLEASE secede already.

3. As I said earlier: Proposition 8 passes and sours the whole experience for me. I HATE Mormons SO MUCH. Hey LDSers: your so-called "church" is an obvious pyramid scheme, its teachings are transparent nonsense, and it was founded mainly as an excuse for Joseph Smith and Brigham Young to fuck a whole bunch of underage girls. And you piously spout off about "sanctity of marriage." Christ Jesus you make me sick.

I think I know another reason why this happened, too: increased black turnout. Oh the irony. I had a kid in my class last year who perfectly fits the mold: huge Obama fan; raving homophobe. I don't know what I should feel about that.

4. Obama hasn't instituted Sharia law yet. What the hell did I vote for?

UPDATE: Okay, I just read this comment on Balloon Juice, and it put me in a slightly less enraged frame of mind:

As a lesbian in a committed relationship for nearly 10 years, (nonlegally) married for 6 years, it sickens me. Although today I will not be sad. One of the reasons I support Obama is that I know that he can change this too—for pete’s sake he actually said "gay people" in his speech last night. I know that doesn’t seem like much but that attitude of inclusion is critical. We must remember that we have time on our side, we just need to keep pushing for the necessary cultural shift and help more people realize that we are not a threat to anyone else’s family. We are families ourselves. It’s all been a lot faster than most of us ever would have expected. Before Lawrence in 2003 many states still had laws that made our relationships criminal acts.

I suppose one should try to follow a "father forgive them for they know not what they do" philosophy, but lord knows it's hard.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

I was greatly pleased to watch McCain lose -- it could not have happened to anyone more deserving. At the same time, I am much less ecstatic about Obama winning, if that makes any sense. What I'm really afraid of is that he will actually end up being a more competent version of Bush -- just as much killing, but with all the right platitudes and with support from the EU. I have read that he is considering Richard Fucking Holbrooke for secretary of state. It really doesn't get much worse than that. And, unfortunately, where Bush alienated just about all non-Republicans, thus ensuring their opposition, Obama will probably be able to sell the same types of policies to liberals much more successfully. I wish I could be more optimistic, I really do.

SK

12:27 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Well, we'll see. But you have to admit, the possibility of being disappointed is an awful lot better than the absolute certainty that there will be an additional four years tacked on to our current hellscape.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

I don't know, man. I watched all four debates because I was desperate for evidence that he wasn't going to be a Clinton-style warmonger. And, for what it's worth, I do believe that he will probably be much less aggressive _in the Middle East_, so probably there won't be a war against Iran now. But I think he is likely to be _much more aggressive_ toward Russia, China and in Central Asia in general, which -- oh, cruel irony -- would actually be much worse than Bush's wars. (Although, granted, McCain would have been no different in that regard.)

I hope that I am wrong, but the choice of Biden as VP, Brzezinski as foreign policy advisor, and possibly Holbrooke as secretary of state, if that's what happens, would be strong evidence of that. I suppose we should wait and see until he forms a cabinet.

SK

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home