Saturday, February 11, 2006

Blah random blahdy fucking blah

I don't hate any of the songs on today's list, which makes it kind of boring. But do I let that stop me? I do not.

01. Blur, “Pressure on Julian”
I sure do dig the magical transit children. Stylishly angular pop-punk, and guess how much I care that that description is a big fat heap of clichés? 8/10

02. Dead Can Dance, “Towards the Within”
Pretty, ethereal, etc. Everything you’d expect from a DCD song. Not that I’m trying to devalue that. I enjoy them very much. Had my schedule been slightly different, I would have been able to see them on their reunion tour. Ah well. 7/10

03. The Decemberists, “On the Bus Mall”
Gritty bittersweet nostalgia. Occasionally a little precious, maybe, but Decemberist lyrics are generally pretty great. 8/10

04. Nick Cave, “The Weeping Song”
One of his best songs, with Blixa Bargeld effectively singing the “father” bits. 9/10

05. The Doors, “Alabama Song”
Bop bom bopbop, bop bom bopbop…there’s no point in pretending to like The Doors at all if you can’t find some pleasure in this. 8/10

06. Elvis Presley, “Blue Moon of Kentucky”
This was used to good effect in Mystery Train, which is one of my favorite movies ever. So…yeah. 7/10

07. Kula Shaker, “Raggy One (waiting for tomorrow)”
Have I ever mentioned how much I fucking LOVE Kula Shaker? ‘Cause I do. And that includes this song. 9/10

08. Joy Division, “Day of the Lords”
Where will it end? That one answered itself pretty quickly. 7/10

09. Elvis Costello, “Less than Zero”
I feel like maybe if I were smarter, I’d have some idea what he’s going on about here. But I like it anyway. 7/10

10. David Bowie, “Teenage Wildlife”
He queens it up amusingly enough, but really, Scary Monsters ain’t no Ziggy Stardust. 6/10

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Oh, modern life is rubbish! Nice.

I didn't know you dug the Doors at all. Interesting.

I'm currently on a Bowie lovefest, but I-gasp!-don't know that song. What type of Bowie fan am I?

3:20 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Liking The Doors is required for teenage boys. Really. I think there's some kind of law. No longer being a teenager, I frequently find then cringe-inducingly adolescent, but I still cling to the perhaps misguided notion that some of their stuff doesn't suck.

I don't know what kind of Bowie fan you are, but given that I only have a half dozen or so albums, I wouldn't call myself much of one either.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home